Encyclopedia Dubuque
"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
CARR, AUSTIN AND COMPANY: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
(4 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
CARR, AUSTIN AND COMPANY. In 1862 William W. Carr moved west from Chicago to Dubuque, Iowa. He and Woodbury H. Austin founded, Carr, Austin & Company in 1866. (1) With a starting work force of only two men, Carr, Austin & Company began producing millwork. In February 1879 Austin sold his interest in the company to his partners. (2) The new company was named W. W. | [[Image:ca.png|left|thumb|250px|Advertisement in July 26, 1876 Dubuque Herald]]CARR, AUSTIN AND COMPANY. In 1862 William W. Carr moved west from Chicago to Dubuque, Iowa. He and Woodbury H. Austin founded, Carr, Austin & Company in 1866. (1) With a starting work force of only two men, Carr, Austin & Company began producing millwork. In February 1879 Austin sold his interest in the company to his partners. (2) The new company was named [[W. W. CARR AND COMPANY]]. (3) Products manufactured by the company were shipped nationwide. | ||
The company was destroyed by fire in both 1871 and | The company was destroyed by fire in both 1871 and 1878, but a third building was constructed; the number of employees grew to 35 men over the next eight years. In 1887, the company was renamed [[CARR, RYDER, AND WHEELER COMPANY]]. In three years this became [[CARR, RYDER, AND ENGLER COMPANY]]. In 1897 the company was renamed [[CARR, RYDER, AND ADAMS COMPANY]]. (4) | ||
The 1867 ''Dubuque City Directory'' gave the address for this business as near the freight house. | The 1867 ''Dubuque City Directory'' gave the address for this business as near the freight house. | ||
Line 20: | Line 20: | ||
3. "W. W. Carr and Company" | 3. "W. W. Carr and Company" | ||
4. "Carr, Ryder and Adams Grows Despite Fire," ''Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal'', August 24, 1930, p. 58 | |||
Eagle Window History. Online: http://www.eaglewindow.com/About-Us/History.aspx | Eagle Window History. Online: http://www.eaglewindow.com/About-Us/History.aspx |
Latest revision as of 04:08, 4 April 2018
CARR, AUSTIN AND COMPANY. In 1862 William W. Carr moved west from Chicago to Dubuque, Iowa. He and Woodbury H. Austin founded, Carr, Austin & Company in 1866. (1) With a starting work force of only two men, Carr, Austin & Company began producing millwork. In February 1879 Austin sold his interest in the company to his partners. (2) The new company was named W. W. CARR AND COMPANY. (3) Products manufactured by the company were shipped nationwide.
The company was destroyed by fire in both 1871 and 1878, but a third building was constructed; the number of employees grew to 35 men over the next eight years. In 1887, the company was renamed CARR, RYDER, AND WHEELER COMPANY. In three years this became CARR, RYDER, AND ENGLER COMPANY. In 1897 the company was renamed CARR, RYDER, AND ADAMS COMPANY. (4)
The 1867 Dubuque City Directory gave the address for this business as near the freight house.
The 1868-69 Dubuque City Directory listed the company "near D & S C R R."
The 1873-74 Dubuque City Directory listed near the I. C. R. R. freight depot.
The 1875-1876 through 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory gave the address as the foot of Main.
---
Source:
1. "W. W. Carr and Company," Dubuque Herald, February 26, 1879, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18790226&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, February 18, 1879, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18790218&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
3. "W. W. Carr and Company"
4. "Carr, Ryder and Adams Grows Despite Fire," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, August 24, 1930, p. 58
Eagle Window History. Online: http://www.eaglewindow.com/About-Us/History.aspx