Encyclopedia Dubuque
"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
MORACCO SUPPER CLUB
MORACCO SUPPER CLUB.In 2006 the Iowa Restaurant Association honored Garry and Jeanne Heiar with the Association's highest honor, "Restaurateurs of the Year." (1) The history of the restaurant began with John G. Jungwirth, who had opened the Morocco tavern and night club on Rockdale Road in 1938. In 1941 customers could choose a different 25-cent dinner special featuring catfish or salmon, chicken, or turkey. The Lounge Room was popular for private parties. In 1942 Friday night fish fries were introduced.
In 1947 the remodeled Morocco Inn was opened under the ownership of John A. JUNGWIRTH, Jr.. When he was killed in an airplane crash on December 5, 1948, Jack Dempsey, the Inn's bartender and manager, began leasing the business which had a specialty of barbecued ribs. On June 25, 1950 a blaze discovered in the kitchen destroyed the building. Outside of the city limits, the Dubuque Fire Department could only offer to protect neighboring businesses.
In 1952 Armin "Butch" and Genevieve "Whitey" Herbst, owners and operators of HERBST SALES & SERVICE Conoco stations at Fifth and Iowa and Seventh and Iowa and sold cars at 1960 Central, purchased the property. Construction began on tje new location for Herbst Sales and Service. A two-story concrete block building opened for business in 1953. The building had plate glass windows around the showrooms on the lower level and two garage bays in a building adjoining to the north. Gas pumps were located in the front. The Herbsts lived on the second floor and rented two two rooms.
Although the business was the first GMC dealership in Dubuque, the relocation of U.S. 52/61/67/151 to the new Kerrigan Road rerouted traffic away from Rockdale. Faced with declining business, the Herbsts decided to renovate the business to a restaurant. They wanted to continue using the original name, the Morocco, but the previous owners would not agree. Undeterred, the Herbsts named their restaurant, the "Moracco"--adding the letter "a." "Dubuque's Newest Nite Club" opened in April, 1958 with new name, a full menu, noon lunches, and a private dining room for special events. Geneviere attempted to operate the business after "Butch" died in 1965 before selling. (2)
Hazel Hillary, a former employee of the Morocco and Leiser's Gardens, and her husband Bert purchased the business in 1966. heir daughter Jeanne, who began working in the family business at the age of eleven, became a partner in 1976 and she and her husband, Garry Heiar, began operating the restaurant. (3)
The 1968 through 2014 Dubuque City Directory listed 1413 Rockdale.
---
Source:
1. Kittle, M. D. "Moracco, Toast of Iowa," Telegraph Herald, December 1, 2006, p. 1A
2. "Moracco Supper Club," The Tri-States' Supper Clubs (supplement to the Telegraph Herald) October 17, 2024, p. 4
3. Kittle