"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




CHATEAU SUPPER CLUB

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Chateau1.png
Matchbook. Photo courtesy: Mike Avitt
Matchbook. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

CHATEAU SUPPER CLUB. The history of the Chateau began in 1937 when Anton "Tony" Van Driel sold his share of the Van Driel & Link tavern at 1487 Central Avenue to his partner Leo Link. Taking the proceeds, Van Driel opened Chateau Antone just outside the Dubuque city limits on the Sageville Road (later Iowa 3). Such a location offered the customers the opportunity to gamble since the DUBUQUE POLICE DEPARTMENT would only come to the city limits and the sheriff generally found other business. Advertisements were published offering customers beef and pork sandwiches, dancing, and tap beer.

The business was leased by Leonard Burke in 1942. Law enforcement in 1943, Cracked down on the Chateau Antone in 1943 for "maintaining a liquor nuisance and illegal possession of gambling devices" and fined Mrs. Anton Van Driel, $850.

The business was sold in 1944 to Bob Timmerman and his wife Helen, who had worked as a waitress. This began years of expansion. The menu was expanded, "family-style" service was introduced, the name was changed in 1946 to "The Chateau," hosting wedding dinners and reception began, and in 1952 two party rooms were opened. After a third expansion in 1953, the restaurant could seat 170.

The Timmermans put the business up for sale in 1955 to pursue their dreams leading to the opening of Timmerman's in East Dubuque. Aware of the potential sale, Lloyd "Lefty" and Esther Dalsing who operated PLATEAU (THE) purchased the business, continued the upscale dining, and opened the adjacent CHATEAU MOTEL.

Fire on February 8, 1962 destroyed everything except a private dining room in the south wing. Despite concerns about a widening project of U.S. 52, rebuilding began with a return of The Chateau's clientele "dressed to the nines." Entertainment remained upscale with renowned local musicians and nationally-known touring professionals. (1) Fire again struck the business in 1972 with fire damage confined to the kitchen and smoke damage to the main dining room. (2)

After 35 years of operating The Chateau, the Dalsings sold the business in 1990 as a more relaxed style of dining was evident. The Chateau was sold to Mitch and Kim Reed, but the restaurant closed in 1992. SWISS VALLEY FARMS purchased the property to expand their business. (3)

The 1955 through 1989 Dubuque City Directory listed 3750 Central.


---

Source:

1. "The Chateau Supper Club, The Tri-States' Supper Clubs (supplement to the Telegraph Herald) October 17, 2024, p. 7

2. "Dubuque Fires Damage Supper Club, Home of 12," Telegraph-Herald, January 1, 1972, p. 34

3. "The Chateau..."