"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




FRANKLIN SCHOOL

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 03:09, 2 August 2008 by Randylyon (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
File:Franklin.gif
Franklin School

FRANKLIN SCHOOL. Originally known as the First Ward School. The building was renamed on December 23, 1889, because of the desire of the board of education to name every building after a famous American. In 1905 petitions were received to replace the school.

The proposition to issue bonds for the construction was carried by a vote of 759 to 133. Franklin was vacated on March 9, 1906, and the students were transferred to a building on the southwest corner of Fifth and Main STREETS where classes resumed on March 16. In 1907 a petition to change the name of the school to the O. A. Bronson School was filed with the Board.

During the 1961-1962 academic year, two rooms at Franklin were renovated to be used for classes for physically handicapped students. Franklin School at 39 Bluff Street was used an elementary school until 1968 when it was converted to a kindergarten center to relieve crowding in the district's other elementary schools. Students were bused to Franklin from throughout the district.

On February 26, 1973, the board of education, citing declining kindergarten enrollment, voted unanimously to close the 67-year-old building in June and return the kindergartners to their home schools. On August 30,1976, Franklin reopened as a center for the education of handicapped students. The school's program was planned to include nearly one hundred children ranging in age from 2 to 15 with mental, physical, or emotional handicaps. A pre-school program for children aged 2 to 5 was provided for those identified with some developmental handicap. Students in this class attended school four days each week with the teacher going to the homes of the students on the fifth day.

A program for moderately mentally handicapped children between the age of 5 and 15 included reading, writing, spelling, simple math and daily living skills. A third program was planned for students aged 5 to 12 years of age with behavioral disabilities. The purpose of this program was to help these students eventually return to the regular classroom.

With the closing of the old CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL, Franklin was renamed CENTRAL ALTERNATIVE HIGH SCHOOL and given new life. Handicapped students were given educational attention at HELEN KELLER SCHOOL. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)