"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




IOWA HOTEL

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 06:06, 21 January 2015 by Randylyon (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald

IOWA HOTEL. The Iowa Hotel was constructed in 1883 by Dubuque contractor Thomas BYRNE. It was operated at the Byrne House until 1888. When it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Regan, the buildin was renamed the CENTRAL HOTEL. In 1917 the building was sold to Mr. and Mrs. William Haag who operated it for forty years as the Iowa Hotel. The building was sold in January 1965 who demolish it for parking space until new building could be started.

The 1923 through the 1957 Dubuque City Directory listed 84 Locust.

---

Source:

"Going Down," Telegraph Herald, February 19, 1965, p. 13