"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




THOMAS J. MULGREW COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 20:06, 4 October 2009 by Randylyon (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey

THOMAS J. MULGREW COMPANY. Organized on May 1, 1893, the Thomas J. Mulgrew Company was incorporated in 1904. The firm sold coal, building materials, lime, fire clay, fire brick and sewer pipe.

The office, yards and ice houses were located at Jones and Iowa STREETS and occupied four acres. In 1911 a spur from the Illinois Central Railroad ran to each yard providing quick loading and unloading of cars. An average of forty men were employed with more needed during the winter.

ICE cut from the MISSISSIPPI RIVER was another important part of the company's business. The Mulgrew Company in 1911 had a contract with the Illinois Central Railroad for ten thousand tons of ice to be shipped to Waterloo, Iowa during the summer months for icing the refrigerator meat trains which began at the Missouri River and diners.