"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




DUBUQUE HARBOR IMPROVEMENT COMPANY: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 6: Line 6:
private individuals
private individuals


In April, 1856, the Harbor Improvement Company asked permission to extend Fifth street to the river. Many warehouses were going up along the levee and along Seventh and Jones streets. Eighth Street extended was the
In April, 1856, the Harbor Improvement Company asked permission to extend Fifth street to the river. Many warehouses were going up along the levee and along Seventh and Jones streets. Eighth Street extended was the northern boundary of the Harbor Improvement Company's tract. (1)
northern boundary of the Harbor Improvement Company's tract.  


The work done by them had lasting value, but the officers decided to discontinue active operations when a financial panic struck the city around 1857.
The work done by them had lasting value, but the officers decided to discontinue active operations when a financial panic struck the city around 1857.
The [[PANIC OF 1857]] lasted about three years. In 1860 the Dubuque Harbor Improvement Company was back in business:
                  The Harbor Improvement Company will offer
                  for sale at auction at their office on Seventh
                  Street today at 10 o'clock 200 lots in their
                  addition to Dubuque. The land dividend scrip of
                  the company will be received in payment."
                                      (Herald, November 1, 1860.)


The ''Dubuque City Directory'' of 1857-1858 listed as officers of the company: Lucius Hart Langworthy, President; Samuel Duncan, Secretary; Ed. A. Lull, Treasurer.
The ''Dubuque City Directory'' of 1857-1858 listed as officers of the company: Lucius Hart Langworthy, President; Samuel Duncan, Secretary; Ed. A. Lull, Treasurer.
Line 19: Line 27:
1. Oldt, Franklin T., History of Dubuque County. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/franklin-t-oldt/history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl/page-12-history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl.shtml
1. Oldt, Franklin T., History of Dubuque County. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/franklin-t-oldt/history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl/page-12-history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl.shtml


2. ''Dubuque City Directory'', 1857-1858
2. Oldt, p. 14
 


[[Category: Organizations]]
[[Category: Organizations]]

Revision as of 02:25, 12 September 2013

Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

DUBUQUE HARBOR IMPROVEMENT COMPANY. In 1854-55, the Harbor Improvement Company was organized for filling in the sloughs and effecting other improvements necessitated by the growth and wealth of the city. In it were Mordecai MOBLEY, Lincoln Clark, Lucius Hart LANGWORTHY, James LANGWORTHY, Thomas S. WILSON and James Ogilby.

The Mobley proposal, which was substantially accepted, planned to fill up Seventh street extension and bridge the sloughs with double track bridges in three months or fifteen months at the most; fill up Seventh street forty feet on top in twenty months; build a levee 320feet long and sixty-four feet wide.

Payment was to be a strip of ground one block wide out to the river on one side of Seventh street extended, blocks to be 206 feet deep, as soon as the work was half done; also alternate blocks on the other side; also the right to use the dredge boat for three years. The Dubuque Harbor Company sold many lots at good prices to private individuals

In April, 1856, the Harbor Improvement Company asked permission to extend Fifth street to the river. Many warehouses were going up along the levee and along Seventh and Jones streets. Eighth Street extended was the northern boundary of the Harbor Improvement Company's tract. (1)

The work done by them had lasting value, but the officers decided to discontinue active operations when a financial panic struck the city around 1857.

The PANIC OF 1857 lasted about three years. In 1860 the Dubuque Harbor Improvement Company was back in business:

                  The Harbor Improvement Company will offer 
                  for sale at auction at their office on Seventh 
                  Street today at 10 o'clock 200 lots in their
                  addition to Dubuque. The land dividend scrip of 
                  the company will be received in payment." 
                                      (Herald, November 1, 1860.)

The Dubuque City Directory of 1857-1858 listed as officers of the company: Lucius Hart Langworthy, President; Samuel Duncan, Secretary; Ed. A. Lull, Treasurer.

---

Source:

1. Oldt, Franklin T., History of Dubuque County. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/franklin-t-oldt/history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl/page-12-history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl.shtml

2. Oldt, p. 14