Encyclopedia Dubuque
"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
STREETS: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 27: | Line 27: | ||
The following are the names and locations of streets listed in the local directory. | The following are the names and locations of streets listed in the local directory. | ||
1856---Air Hill--- from Eighth to Julien Avenue on the Bluffs | |||
1857---Air Hill---east of Walnut, from Julien Avenue to 8th | |||
------------ | |||
1856---Almond--- from Ellis west on the Bluffs | |||
1857---Almond---first street north of Mineral | |||
------------ | |||
1856---Alpine--- from Third to Julien Avenue on the Bluffs | |||
1857---Alpine---second street east of Spring | |||
------------ | |||
1856---Alta Vista--- from Third to Julien Avenue on the Bluffs | |||
1857---Alta Vista---west of Walnut from Julien Avenue to Mineral | |||
------------ | |||
1856---Ann--- from Division to Peosta | |||
1856---Ash--- from the [[MISSISSIPPI RIVER]] to Peosta | |||
1856---Broad--- from Julien Avenue to 14th on the Bluffs | |||
1856---Broadway--- from Sanford to Diagonal | |||
1856---Clay--- from Levee to Eighteenth | |||
1856---Cedar--- from 10th to Nineteenth | |||
1856---Couler Ave.--- from 18th to Peru Road | |||
1856---Dodge--- from [[MISSISSIPPI RIVER]] to summit on the Bluffs | |||
1856---Diagonal--- from Couler Avenue to McCabe | |||
1856---Dock--- from Peosta to Division | |||
1856---Elm--- from 10th to 19th | |||
1856---East--- from Julien Avenue to 14th | |||
1856---Grove--- from 11th to Walnut | |||
1856---Hill--- from 5th to 8th | |||
1856---High--- from 11th to Walnut | |||
1856---Iowa--- from Mississippi River to 17th | |||
1856---Jones--- from Mississippi River to Bluff | |||
1856---Jackson--- from Mississippi River to Peru Road | |||
1856---Johnson Ave.--- from Lake to Sanford | |||
1856---Julien Ave.--- from 8th to Delhi | |||
1856---Lynn--- from 12th to Peosta | |||
1856---Locust--- from Dubuque's Grave to 15th | |||
1856---Main--- from Jones to Seminary | |||
1856---Mineral--- from Locust running west | |||
1856---Maple--- from 12th to 18th | |||
1856---Nevada--- from 15th to Julien Avenue | |||
1856---Orange--- from Mississippi River to 19th | |||
1856---Pine--- from Mississippi River to Lake | |||
1856---Peosta--- from Willow to Eagle Point Levee | |||
1856---Prairie--- from 11th to 14th on the Bluffs | |||
1856---Reed--- from Peosta to Division | |||
1856---Sanford Ave.--- from Couler Avenue to Johnson Ave. | |||
1856---Spring--- from Third to 14th on the Bluffs | |||
1856---Sycamore--- from 12th to 19th | |||
1856---Stafford--- from Lake to Division | |||
1856---Seminary--- from 18th running west | |||
1856---White--- from Levee to 19th | |||
1856---West Pine--- from Hill to Eighth on the Bluffs | |||
1856---Windsor---from Lake to Division | |||
1856---First---from the Mississippi River to Bluff | |||
1856---Second---from the Mississippii River to Bluff | |||
1856---Third---from the Mississippi River to Spring | |||
1856---Fourth---from Levee to foot of the Bluffs | |||
1856---Fifth---from Levee to Spring | |||
1856---Sixth---from Levee to Bluff | |||
1856---Seventh---from Levee to Bluff | |||
1856---Eighth---from Mississippi River to West Pine | |||
1856---Ninth---from Mississippi River to Bluff | |||
1856---Tenth---from Cedar to Bluff | |||
1856---Eleventh--from Mississippi River to summit of the Bluffs | |||
Over time, Dubuque, like other cities, changed street names. Many changes were made in 1921 at the suggestion of [[CARR, Ossian E.]], Dubuque's first City Manager. Among those that have been changed are the following: | 1856---Twelfth--from Mississippi River to Bluff | ||
1856---Thirteenth---from Mississippi River to Bluff | |||
1856---Fourteenth---from Mississippi River to Wood | |||
1856---Fifteenth---from Mississippi River to Locust | |||
1856---Sixteenth--from Mississippi River to Locust | |||
1856---Seventeenth---from Mississippi River to summit of the Bluffs | |||
1856---Eighteenth---from Mississippi River to Clay | |||
1856---Nineteenth---from Mississippi River to Couler Ave. | |||
1856---Twentieth---from Mississippi River to Lynn | |||
1856---Twenty-First---from Mississippi River to Willow | |||
In 1865 John D. Bush proposed the laying out of Grand Avenue, commencing at Quigley lane opposite the brewery on Julien Avenue and extending along the ridge road until its intersection with the [[MILITARY ROAD]] on the top of Whiskey hill. In November, 1865, so unclean had the streets become, the citizens turned out en masse, formed a brigade, and cleaned them. | |||
Over time, Dubuque, like other cities, changed street names. Many changes were made in 1921 at the suggestion of [[CARR, Ossian E.|Ossian E. CARR]], Dubuque's first City Manager. Among those that have been changed are the following: | |||
[[Image:imp268.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Clay Street. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]] | [[Image:imp268.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Clay Street. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]] |
Revision as of 01:11, 11 May 2015
STREETS. The congressional act of July 2, 1836 provided for surveying the lots and streets of several area cities including Dubuque. A total of $3,000 was appropriated to cover the expense. On March 3, 1837, an amendatory act was passed by which three commissioners were appointed to hear all evidence under the claims. These commissioners were to be paid six dollars per day.
Surveying streets did not suggest the early settlers wanted to quickly improve this means of transportation.
Indian trails and miners' paths there were through Dirty Hollow,over Whisky and Hamilton hills, through the tortuous windings of Madden hollow, over the rugged ascent of Lorimier Hollow, now Julien Avenue, and through several other wild ravines and over the craggy steeps of the bluffs around the city. The only unobstructed approach to the city was by way of what is called the Couler at the upper end of town. Farmers, of course, complained, but their complaints were for some time unheeded. They had to watch the opportunity of fair weather to come to town and wait for each other at the foot of the hills to double and sometimes treble teams to help each other through. This process went on for years until other markets superseded this largely. Galena enterprise put a ferry across the river at Tete des Mortes and secured much of the trade of Jackson and southern Dubuque counties. Other points — Bellevue, Muscatine and Davenport — drew from the county west. It was then realized that Dubuque would have to improve its Indian trails and miners' paths." (Express and Herald, October 24, 1855.)
The following are the names and locations of streets listed in the local directory.
1856---Air Hill--- from Eighth to Julien Avenue on the Bluffs
1857---Air Hill---east of Walnut, from Julien Avenue to 8th
1856---Almond--- from Ellis west on the Bluffs
1857---Almond---first street north of Mineral
1856---Alpine--- from Third to Julien Avenue on the Bluffs
1857---Alpine---second street east of Spring
1856---Alta Vista--- from Third to Julien Avenue on the Bluffs
1857---Alta Vista---west of Walnut from Julien Avenue to Mineral
1856---Ann--- from Division to Peosta
1856---Ash--- from the MISSISSIPPI RIVER to Peosta
1856---Broad--- from Julien Avenue to 14th on the Bluffs
1856---Broadway--- from Sanford to Diagonal
1856---Clay--- from Levee to Eighteenth
1856---Cedar--- from 10th to Nineteenth
1856---Couler Ave.--- from 18th to Peru Road
1856---Dodge--- from MISSISSIPPI RIVER to summit on the Bluffs
1856---Diagonal--- from Couler Avenue to McCabe
1856---Dock--- from Peosta to Division
1856---Elm--- from 10th to 19th
1856---East--- from Julien Avenue to 14th
1856---Grove--- from 11th to Walnut
1856---Hill--- from 5th to 8th
1856---High--- from 11th to Walnut
1856---Iowa--- from Mississippi River to 17th
1856---Jones--- from Mississippi River to Bluff
1856---Jackson--- from Mississippi River to Peru Road
1856---Johnson Ave.--- from Lake to Sanford
1856---Julien Ave.--- from 8th to Delhi
1856---Lynn--- from 12th to Peosta
1856---Locust--- from Dubuque's Grave to 15th
1856---Main--- from Jones to Seminary
1856---Mineral--- from Locust running west
1856---Maple--- from 12th to 18th
1856---Nevada--- from 15th to Julien Avenue
1856---Orange--- from Mississippi River to 19th
1856---Pine--- from Mississippi River to Lake
1856---Peosta--- from Willow to Eagle Point Levee
1856---Prairie--- from 11th to 14th on the Bluffs
1856---Reed--- from Peosta to Division
1856---Sanford Ave.--- from Couler Avenue to Johnson Ave.
1856---Spring--- from Third to 14th on the Bluffs
1856---Sycamore--- from 12th to 19th
1856---Stafford--- from Lake to Division
1856---Seminary--- from 18th running west
1856---White--- from Levee to 19th
1856---West Pine--- from Hill to Eighth on the Bluffs
1856---Windsor---from Lake to Division
1856---First---from the Mississippi River to Bluff
1856---Second---from the Mississippii River to Bluff
1856---Third---from the Mississippi River to Spring
1856---Fourth---from Levee to foot of the Bluffs
1856---Fifth---from Levee to Spring
1856---Sixth---from Levee to Bluff
1856---Seventh---from Levee to Bluff
1856---Eighth---from Mississippi River to West Pine
1856---Ninth---from Mississippi River to Bluff
1856---Tenth---from Cedar to Bluff
1856---Eleventh--from Mississippi River to summit of the Bluffs
1856---Twelfth--from Mississippi River to Bluff
1856---Thirteenth---from Mississippi River to Bluff
1856---Fourteenth---from Mississippi River to Wood
1856---Fifteenth---from Mississippi River to Locust
1856---Sixteenth--from Mississippi River to Locust
1856---Seventeenth---from Mississippi River to summit of the Bluffs
1856---Eighteenth---from Mississippi River to Clay
1856---Nineteenth---from Mississippi River to Couler Ave.
1856---Twentieth---from Mississippi River to Lynn
1856---Twenty-First---from Mississippi River to Willow
In 1865 John D. Bush proposed the laying out of Grand Avenue, commencing at Quigley lane opposite the brewery on Julien Avenue and extending along the ridge road until its intersection with the MILITARY ROAD on the top of Whiskey hill. In November, 1865, so unclean had the streets become, the citizens turned out en masse, formed a brigade, and cleaned them.
Over time, Dubuque, like other cities, changed street names. Many changes were made in 1921 at the suggestion of Ossian E. CARR, Dubuque's first City Manager. Among those that have been changed are the following:
Original Name | New Name | Date of Change |
---|---|---|
Adams Avenue | Prescott Street | 1921 |
Adams Street | Sac Street | 1921 |
Alma Street | Montrose | |
Altman Avenue | St. Joseph Street | 1921 |
Anne Place | West 18th Street | |
Arch Street | Seminary Street | 1921 |
Aspen | Linden | |
Audubon | Grandview | |
Austin Place | Raymond Place | |
Blocklinger Lane | West 24th Street | 1921 |
Bluff Street | Providence | |
Bluff | High Bluff | |
Boundary Street | Grandview Avenue | 1871 |
Brad Street | Booth | |
Broad Street | Mt. Pleasant | |
Brugh | Schiller | |
Cardiff Street | Summit Street | 1921 |
Cascade Road | Fremont | |
Centre Street | Asbury | |
Center Street | Finley Street | 1921 |
Church | 6th | |
Clay Street | Central Avenue (1st to 18th) | 1921 |
Clifford Street | Eighth Street | 1921 |
Clifford | Foye Street | |
Clifton Street | Altman Avenue | 1921 |
Columbia | Lexington | |
Cora Street | South Hill St. | |
Couler Street | Central Avenue (18th to city limits) | 1921 |
Delhi Street | University Avenue | 1921 |
Division | Lincoln | |
Dubuque Street | Sumner | |
Eagle Point Street | 20th Street | |
Eagle Street Extension | Lindberg Terrace | |
East Street | McCormick Street | 1921 |
East | Glen Oak | |
Eleanor Street | Indian Ridge | |
Edith Street | Roland Street | 1921 |
Empley's Lane | Thomas Street | 1921 |
Exchange Street | South Hill | |
Fink Street | Jansen Street | 1921 |
Forrest Street | Florence | |
Franklin Street | West 16th Street | 1921 |
Franklin | Fulton | |
Franklin | Edison | |
Fremont Avenue | Wartburg Avenue | circa 1889 |
Fremont Avenue | Wartburg Place | 1921 |
Front Street | Peosta | 1938 |
Grandview Heights | Plymouth Court | |
Grant Avenue | Wilson Street | 1921 |
Grove Street | Greeley Street | 1921 |
Hales Mill | Asbury | |
Hall Street | Auburn Street | 1921 |
Harrison | Monroe | |
Hart Street | West 23rd | 1921 |
Hazel Street | Sunnyview | |
Herron Street | South Locust Street | 1921 |
High Street | Rhomberg | |
High Street | Highland Pl. | |
Iowa Street Extension | Shelby Street | |
James Street | Huff | |
Jefferson Avenue | Carter Road | |
John Street | Simpson | |
Julien Avenue | Lorimer Avenue | 1858 |
Julien Avenue | University Avenue | 1940 |
Julien | Primrose | |
Karrick Street | Finley Street | 1921 |
Kerrigan Road | 1956 | |
Klingenberg Street | Hennepin Street | 1921 |
Lake Street | Garfield | |
Leibnitz Street | Lowell Street | 1921 |
Lemon | Viola | |
Lenox Avenue | Van Buren | |
Linden Boulevard | Logan Street | 1921 |
Logan | Belmont | |
Lorimier Avenue | Julien Avenue | 1859 |
Louisa Street | Algona Street | 1921 |
Main Street | Front Street | |
Malady | South Booth | |
Maple Street | Morton Street | 1921 |
Martha Ann | Martha | |
McCabe | Broadway | |
Middle Avenue | Farley Street | 1921 |
Mineral Street | West Locust | |
Millville Street | 32nd Street | 1921 |
Military Street | Rockdale Road | |
Monroe | Harlan | |
Mount Carmel Avenue | South Locust Street | 1921 |
National Street | Delhi | |
North Cascade Road | Fremont Avenue | 1921 |
North Street | Hale | 1921 |
North 1st Street | Kimball Street | 1921 |
North Iowa Street | Shelby Street | |
North Main Street | Main Street | 1921 |
O'Neill Street | Langworthy | 1921 |
Orange | Washington | 1921 |
Park Avenue | Randall Place | 1921 |
Park Street | Asbury Road | |
Park Hill | West 28th | 1921 |
Park Way Avenue | Park Street | 1921 |
Peru Road | 32nd Street | 1921 |
Pine Street | Caledonia | |
Pine Street | Pinard | |
Pine Street | Poe Street | 1921 |
Planke Road | Couler | |
Pleasant View Avenue | Lexington Street | 1921 |
Rebecca Street | Fairview Place | |
Reed Avenue | Marshall Street | 1921 |
Riga Street | Algona Street | 1921 |
Rosedale Avenue | Auburn Street | 1921 |
Russell Street | Rowan Street | 1921 |
Sanford Street | East 24th | 1921 |
Seminary Street | Clarke Drive | 1955 |
Seminary Street (from 17th to 18th) | Heeb Street | 1921 |
Shields | Pine | |
South Dodge Street | Bryant Street | 1921 |
South Street | Lombard | |
Spring | North Booth | |
State | National | |
Stewart Street | Southern | |
Thomas Street | West 16th Street | 1921 |
Union Avenue | Kirkwood Street | 1921 |
Valley | Dillon Street | |
Vine Street | Burns Street | 1921 |
Walnut | Karrick | |
Wall | Wallace | |
Wabash Avenue | Seward Street | 1921 |
Warren | Putnam | |
Wartburg Avenue | Fremont Avenue | 1920 |
Washington Street | O'Hagen Street | |
West Street | Needham Place | |
West 4th Street | Melrose Street | 1921 |
West 14th Street | Loras Avenue | 1940 |
West Main Street | Shields Street | 1921 |
West Eagle Point Avenue | Kaufmann | |
West Seminary | Ungs Street | |
Whelan | Bradley | |
Wilde Street | Mt. Loretta | |
Willow | Rosedale Street | 1921 |
1st Avenue | Decatur | 1921 |
2nd Avenue | Hamilton | 1921 |
3rd Avenue | Whittier | 1921 |
4th Avenue | Emerson | 1921 |
5th Avenue (west of Linwood Cemetery) | Edith Street | 1921 |
5th Avenue (east of Linwood Cemetery) | Roosevelt Street | 1921 |
6th Avenue | Stanton | 1921 |
7th Avenue | Shiras Avenue | 1921 |
8th Avenue | Farragut | 1921 |
9th Avenue | Hawthorne | 1921 |
10th Avenue | Sumner | 1921 |
The name Whiskey Hill was used colloquially to refer to Southern Avenue through the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but never appeared on any printed map or street sign. (1)
In 2014 Dubuque motorists noticed a new type of signal added to two traffic lights on Ninth Street as part of recent construction projects. The flashing yellow left-turn arrow signal was a new traffic management tool aimed at keeping traffic moving, increasing safety, and reducing fuel consumption. (2)
The new signals were installed at the intersections of Ninth and Locust and Ninth and White streets in Dubuque and were being added to intersections across Iowa. The new signal featured a flashing yellow left-turn arrow, in addition to a red, green and steady yellow arrow. The flashing yellow arrow replaced the circular green signal used in the traditional left-turn signal configuration to indicate the need for left-turning vehicles to yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians. A flashing yellow arrow meant left turns were permitted, but motorists first had to yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians, and then proceed with caution. The flashing yellow arrow did not replace the solid yellow arrow and its meaning; it did replace the green “ball” indication as a signal for a yielding left turn. (3)
In November 2014 a new traffic control pavement marking was announced in the redesign of two downtown Dubuque streets. Dubuque motorists were reminded to note the change and stop where directed by the signage at the four intersections featuring diagonal crosshatch markings. The purpose of the markings was to force traffic to stop at a red traffic signal at a distance before the intersection, which allows truck traffic adequate space to safely make turns on to that street from the right of the intersection. (4)
White “Do Not Block” diagonal crosshatch markings were added to two intersections on Ninth Street and two intersections on Eleventh Street as part of the conversion from one-way to two-way streets. The intersections were for westbound traffic at the intersections of Ninth Street and White Street, Ninth Street and Central Avenue, Eleventh Street and White Street, and Eleventh Street and Central Avenue. Each intersection featured signage stating “Stop Here on Red. (5)
Source:
1. News Release. City of Dubuque. September 8, 2014. Online: http://www.cityofdubuque.org/newsreleases
2. Ibid.
3. Ibid.
4. News Release. City of Dubuque. November 25, 2014. Online: http://www.cityofdubuque.org/newsreleases
5. Ibid.
- Lorimer Avenue." Dubuque Times Journal. Dubuque, IA, May 4, 1858.
- Map of the City of Dubuque.Iowa Publishing Company. Davenport, Iowa, 1906.
- "Ordinance Changing Street Names is Passed by Council at Last Meeting." Dubuque Times Journal, Dubuque, IA, March 27, 1921.
- Oldt, Franklin T., History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Goodspeed Historical Association
- Research by John Klauer; 1918 Dubuque City Directory
- Stessman, James T. "History of the Names of Streets of Dubuque." April 26, 1954. On file at Carnegie-Stout Public Library.
- "Folks on Seminary Street Have New Address; It's Clarke Drive." Telegraph Herald, Dubuque, IA, September 7, 1955.
- "Whiskey Label Sticks to Steep Hill." Telegraph Herald, Dubuque, IA, March 16, 1999.