Encyclopedia Dubuque
"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
PARIS HOTEL: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
PARIS HOTEL. See: [[HOTEL CANFIELD]] | PARIS HOTEL. Prior to the development of the land as a hotel, B. D. Linehan operated a blacksmith on the site. (1) By 1892, however, the location in downtown Dubuque proved too valuable and construction began on the Paris Hotel. It opened for business in late September. (2) | ||
Business did no prove profitable. In early 1895, the hotel valued at $35,000 was sold at auction to satisfy creditors. The price was $16,500. (3) In 1895 G. O. Gurnee of Clinton leased the building to be operated as a $2.00 per day hotel. (4) [[NAGLE, John J.|John J. NAGLE]] purchased the hotel in 1908 from the Adams brothers and apparently continued the lease arrangement with Gurnee. (5) In 1912 plans for extensive remodeling were announced. Gurnee, the proprietor, had already installed telephones in all of the guest rooms. (6) The planned installation of an elevator and baths in twenty-five or thirty of the guest rooms led the Telegraph Herald to announce that "no other hotel in this city or part of the country would be better equipped for caring for the traveling public." (7) | |||
The following years show many owners. D. H. McCarthy purchased the hotel in 1914. (8) He gave up the lease to J. J. Nagle the following year. (9) This was the same year that Martin Maloney, the proprietor, died suddenly. (10) In 1916, the hotel was sold to R. C. McGlashan. (11) | |||
See: [[HOTEL CANFIELD]] | |||
--- | |||
Sources: | |||
(As noted, some information was obtained from resource cards found at the Carnegie-Stout Public Library. The exact title of the articles is not known, since the newspaper had disintegrated before they could be photocopied. | |||
1. Telegraph Herald, September 5, 1937 | |||
2. (Resource card)Dubuque Daily Herald, August 27, 1892 | |||
3. (Resource card) Dubuque Daily Herald, January 31, 1895 | |||
4. (Resource card) Dubuque Globe Journal, April 13, 1899 | |||
5. (Resource card) Evening Times Journal, April 10, 1908 | |||
6. "Paris Hotel is to be Remodeled," Telegraph Herald, September 9, 1912 | |||
7. Ibid. | |||
8. "D. H. McCarthy Purchases Hotel," Telegraph Herald, June 10, 1914 | |||
9. "D. H. McCarthy Gives Up Lease to J. J. Nagle," Telegraph Herald June 30, 1915 | |||
10. "Martin Maloney, Proprietor, Dies Suddenly," Telegraph Herald, Aug. 31 1915 | |||
11. (Resource card) Evening Times Journal, March 1, 1916 | |||
[[Category: Hotel]] | [[Category: Hotel]] |
Revision as of 01:12, 30 April 2013
PARIS HOTEL. Prior to the development of the land as a hotel, B. D. Linehan operated a blacksmith on the site. (1) By 1892, however, the location in downtown Dubuque proved too valuable and construction began on the Paris Hotel. It opened for business in late September. (2)
Business did no prove profitable. In early 1895, the hotel valued at $35,000 was sold at auction to satisfy creditors. The price was $16,500. (3) In 1895 G. O. Gurnee of Clinton leased the building to be operated as a $2.00 per day hotel. (4) John J. NAGLE purchased the hotel in 1908 from the Adams brothers and apparently continued the lease arrangement with Gurnee. (5) In 1912 plans for extensive remodeling were announced. Gurnee, the proprietor, had already installed telephones in all of the guest rooms. (6) The planned installation of an elevator and baths in twenty-five or thirty of the guest rooms led the Telegraph Herald to announce that "no other hotel in this city or part of the country would be better equipped for caring for the traveling public." (7)
The following years show many owners. D. H. McCarthy purchased the hotel in 1914. (8) He gave up the lease to J. J. Nagle the following year. (9) This was the same year that Martin Maloney, the proprietor, died suddenly. (10) In 1916, the hotel was sold to R. C. McGlashan. (11)
See: HOTEL CANFIELD
---
Sources: (As noted, some information was obtained from resource cards found at the Carnegie-Stout Public Library. The exact title of the articles is not known, since the newspaper had disintegrated before they could be photocopied.
1. Telegraph Herald, September 5, 1937
2. (Resource card)Dubuque Daily Herald, August 27, 1892
3. (Resource card) Dubuque Daily Herald, January 31, 1895
4. (Resource card) Dubuque Globe Journal, April 13, 1899
5. (Resource card) Evening Times Journal, April 10, 1908
6. "Paris Hotel is to be Remodeled," Telegraph Herald, September 9, 1912
7. Ibid.
8. "D. H. McCarthy Purchases Hotel," Telegraph Herald, June 10, 1914
9. "D. H. McCarthy Gives Up Lease to J. J. Nagle," Telegraph Herald June 30, 1915
10. "Martin Maloney, Proprietor, Dies Suddenly," Telegraph Herald, Aug. 31 1915
11. (Resource card) Evening Times Journal, March 1, 1916