"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




SAINT RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL SCHOOL: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 7: Line 7:
By the end of the [[CIVIL WAR]], the boys' school was held in two rooms each accommodating approximately fifty pupils. The building of a boys' school behind [[SAINT RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL]] was started in the late 1860s by Father O'Reilly. From then until 1884 the Christian Brothers of St. Louis were in charge of the school. After 1884 the Sisters of Charity, BVM instructed boys and girls at the cathedral school. Until 1979, this school was attended by nearly every Catholic boy in Dubuque.  
By the end of the [[CIVIL WAR]], the boys' school was held in two rooms each accommodating approximately fifty pupils. The building of a boys' school behind [[SAINT RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL]] was started in the late 1860s by Father O'Reilly. From then until 1884 the Christian Brothers of St. Louis were in charge of the school. After 1884 the Sisters of Charity, BVM instructed boys and girls at the cathedral school. Until 1979, this school was attended by nearly every Catholic boy in Dubuque.  


Once possessing an enrollment above five hundred, Saint Raphael's School suffered from declining enrollment as residents moved into newly developed parts of Dubuque. To combat the morale declines, the school instituted a teacher-aide program in 1963 that saw volunteers assisting faculty with supervisory and clerical duties. A school lunch program was started the same year. By the late 1980s the school had been closed and the building converted into a physical fitness center.  
[[Image:st.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Photo-2010]]Once possessing an enrollment above five hundred, Saint Raphael's School suffered from declining enrollment as residents moved into newly developed parts of Dubuque. To combat the morale declines, the school instituted a teacher-aide program in 1963 that saw volunteers assisting faculty with supervisory and clerical duties. A school lunch program was started the same year. By the late 1980s the school had been closed and the building converted into a physical fitness center.  


Among the school's illustrious graduates is Father Daniel O'Regan, ordained a priest on May 30, 1863, who was the first native Iowan ordained in Rome and Iowa's first resident to receive a doctorate from the North American College. Among the parishioners to become priests was Rev. [[RHOMBERG, Thomas |Thomas RHOMBERG]]. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)
Among the school's illustrious graduates is Father Daniel O'Regan, ordained a priest on May 30, 1863, who was the first native Iowan ordained in Rome and Iowa's first resident to receive a doctorate from the North American College. Among the parishioners to become priests was Rev. [[RHOMBERG, Thomas |Thomas RHOMBERG]]. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)


[[Category: Schools/Universities/Colleges]]
[[Category: Schools/Universities/Colleges]]

Revision as of 03:37, 11 October 2010

Saint Raphael's Cathedral School

SAINT RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL SCHOOL. Oldest school in the ARCHDIOCESE OF DUBUQUE. The boys' school, opened in 1836, had as one of its first teachers John J. E. Norman, later Dubuque County's first superintendent of schools. He was joined by three other male instructors.

In 1851 three brothers of the Sacred Heart came to Dubuque from LePuy, France, to conduct a primary and high school for boys. This was held in a two-story brick building and the basement of the episcopal residence. By 1852 one hundred thirty boys, each paying tuition of fifty cents per month, were enrolled. English from the Reeves Bible Text and Bible history were taught.

The brothers left Dubuque in 1858, and instruction was returned to laymen. During the CIVIL WAR, boys who had not received their First Communion were instructed by the SISTERS OF CHARITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY (BVM).

By the end of the CIVIL WAR, the boys' school was held in two rooms each accommodating approximately fifty pupils. The building of a boys' school behind SAINT RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL was started in the late 1860s by Father O'Reilly. From then until 1884 the Christian Brothers of St. Louis were in charge of the school. After 1884 the Sisters of Charity, BVM instructed boys and girls at the cathedral school. Until 1979, this school was attended by nearly every Catholic boy in Dubuque.

Photo-2010

Once possessing an enrollment above five hundred, Saint Raphael's School suffered from declining enrollment as residents moved into newly developed parts of Dubuque. To combat the morale declines, the school instituted a teacher-aide program in 1963 that saw volunteers assisting faculty with supervisory and clerical duties. A school lunch program was started the same year. By the late 1980s the school had been closed and the building converted into a physical fitness center.

Among the school's illustrious graduates is Father Daniel O'Regan, ordained a priest on May 30, 1863, who was the first native Iowan ordained in Rome and Iowa's first resident to receive a doctorate from the North American College. Among the parishioners to become priests was Rev. Thomas RHOMBERG. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)