"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




SAINT RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL SCHOOL: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
[[File:srs.JPG|200px|thumb|left|Saint Raphael School and the cathedral]]ST. RAPHAEL'S SCHOOL. Oldest school in the [[ARCHDIOCESE OF DUBUQUE]]. Established in 1836 by Father [[MAZZUCHELLI, Samuel|Samuel MAZZUCHELLI]] in the basement of the cathedral, St. Raphael's was a boys' school taught at first by laymen and laywomen. One of its first teachers John J. E. Norman, later Dubuque County's first superintendent of schools. He was joined by three other male instructors.  
[[File:srs.JPG|200px|thumb|left|Saint Raphael School and the cathedral]]ST. RAPHAEL'S SCHOOL. Oldest school in the [[ARCHDIOCESE OF DUBUQUE]]. Established in 1836 by Father [[MAZZUCHELLI, Samuel|Samuel MAZZUCHELLI]] in the basement of the cathedral, St. Raphael's was a boys' school taught at first by laymen and laywomen. One of its first teachers John J. E. Norman, later Dubuque County's first superintendent of schools. He was joined by three other male instructors. (1)


[[BROTHERS OF CHRISTIAN INSTRUCTION]] came to Dubuque from LePuy, France in 1851 to be instructors at the boys' primary and high school held in the basement of the episcopal residence and a two-story brick building under the bluff. By 1852 the Brothers were teaching 130 boys and the school was receiving state aid. Each boy paid tuition of fifty-cents-per month and learned Bible history and English using '''Reeves' Bible Text'''.
Brothers of the Sacred Heart came to Dubuque from LePuy, France in 1851 to be instructors at the boys' primary and high school held in the basement of the episcopal residence and a two-story brick building under the bluff. Brother Fabian S.C, Jean-Baptiste Bonnefoi (1825-1858), a faithful worker and a missionary brother from France, pushed himself to learn English quickly. On the founding faculty of St. Raphael's Academy in Dubuque, IA, in 1850, he taught there for nine years until his death on April 16, 1858, at the age of 32. He died young, partly due to the rigorous life and teaching in primitive conditions in the basement where classes were conducted. (1) By 1852 the Brothers were teaching 130 boys and the school was receiving state aid. Each boy paid tuition of fifty-cents-per month and learned Bible history and English using '''Reeves' Bible Text'''. (3)


With the closing of [[MOUNT ST. BERNARD SEMINARY]] where the Brothers had been given a novitate, they discontinued their work. During the [[CIVIL WAR]], boys who had not received their First Communion were instructed by the [[SISTERS OF CHARITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY (BVM)]]. In 1865 the boys' school of two rooms containing fifty boys each was taught by two laywomen.  
With the closing of [[MOUNT ST. BERNARD SEMINARY]] where the Brothers had been given a novitate, they discontinued their work. During the [[CIVIL WAR]], boys who had not received their First Communion were instructed by the [[SISTERS OF CHARITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY (BVM)]]. In 1865 the boys' school of two rooms containing fifty boys each was taught by two laywomen. (4)


The building of a boys' school behind [[ST. RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL]] was started in the late 1860s by Father O'Reilly. From then until 1884 the Christian Brothers of St. Louis were in charge of the school. After 1884 the Sisters of Charity, BVM instructed boys and girls at the cathedral school.  
The building of a boys' school behind [[ST. RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL]] was started in the late 1860s by Father O'Reilly. From then until 1884 the Christian Brothers of St. Louis were in charge of the school. After 1884 the Sisters of Charity, BVM instructed boys and girls at the cathedral school. (5)


The most recent St. Raphael's School was constructed at Emmett and Bluff in 1904. Although the oldest school in the archdiocese, St. Raphael's kept up with current educational theory. A teacher-aid program was started in September, 1963. The same year a school lunch program was begun. Enrollment, however, decreased from a peak of 500 to 278 in 1965 being instructed by seven Sisters and two lay teachers. By the late 1980s the school had been closed and the building converted into a physical fitness center.  
The most recent St. Raphael's School was constructed at Emmett and Bluff in 1904. Although the oldest school in the archdiocese, St. Raphael's kept up with current educational theory. A teacher-aid program was started in September, 1963. The same year a school lunch program was begun. Enrollment, however, decreased from a peak of 500 to 278 in 1965 being instructed by seven Sisters and two lay teachers. By the late 1980s the school had been closed and the building converted into a physical fitness center. (6)


[[Image:cathedralgrammarschool.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]Among the school's illustrious graduates was Father Daniel O'Regan, ordained a priest on May 30, 1863, who was the first native Iowan ordained in Rome and Iowa's first resident to receive a doctorate from the North American College. Among the parishioners to become priests was Rev. [[RHOMBERG, Thomas |Thomas RHOMBERG]].  
[[Image:cathedralgrammarschool.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]Among the school's illustrious graduates was Father Daniel O'Regan, ordained a priest on May 30, 1863, who was the first native Iowan ordained in Rome and Iowa's first resident to receive a doctorate from the North American College. Among the parishioners to become priests was Rev. [[RHOMBERG, Thomas |Thomas RHOMBERG]]. (7)


[[Image:st.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Photo-2010]]
[[Image:st.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Photo-2010]]
Line 19: Line 19:
Source:
Source:


Driscoll, Rt. Rev. Msgr. Justin A. '''With Faith and Vision: Schools of the Archdiocese of Dubuque, 1836-1966''', Dubuque: Bureau of Education, Archdiocese of Dubuque, 1967, p. 2-3
1. Driscoll, Rt. Rev. Msgr. Justin A. '''With Faith and Vision: Schools of the Archdiocese of Dubuque, 1836-1966''', Dubuque: Bureau of Education, Archdiocese of Dubuque, 1967, p. 2-3
 
2. Brother Xavier Werneth, S.C. Email, January 25, 2020
 
3. Driscoll
 
4. Ibid.
 
5. Ibid.
 
6. Ibid.
 
7. Ibid.


[[Category: Schools/Universities/Colleges]]
[[Category: Schools/Universities/Colleges]]
[[Category: Postcards]]
[[Category: Postcards]]
[[Category: Schools/Universities/Colleges]]

Revision as of 19:56, 28 January 2020

Saint Raphael School and the cathedral

ST. RAPHAEL'S SCHOOL. Oldest school in the ARCHDIOCESE OF DUBUQUE. Established in 1836 by Father Samuel MAZZUCHELLI in the basement of the cathedral, St. Raphael's was a boys' school taught at first by laymen and laywomen. One of its first teachers John J. E. Norman, later Dubuque County's first superintendent of schools. He was joined by three other male instructors. (1)

Brothers of the Sacred Heart came to Dubuque from LePuy, France in 1851 to be instructors at the boys' primary and high school held in the basement of the episcopal residence and a two-story brick building under the bluff. Brother Fabian S.C, Jean-Baptiste Bonnefoi (1825-1858), a faithful worker and a missionary brother from France, pushed himself to learn English quickly. On the founding faculty of St. Raphael's Academy in Dubuque, IA, in 1850, he taught there for nine years until his death on April 16, 1858, at the age of 32. He died young, partly due to the rigorous life and teaching in primitive conditions in the basement where classes were conducted. (1) By 1852 the Brothers were teaching 130 boys and the school was receiving state aid. Each boy paid tuition of fifty-cents-per month and learned Bible history and English using Reeves' Bible Text. (3)

With the closing of MOUNT ST. BERNARD SEMINARY where the Brothers had been given a novitate, they discontinued their work. During the CIVIL WAR, boys who had not received their First Communion were instructed by the SISTERS OF CHARITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY (BVM). In 1865 the boys' school of two rooms containing fifty boys each was taught by two laywomen. (4)

The building of a boys' school behind ST. RAPHAEL'S CATHEDRAL was started in the late 1860s by Father O'Reilly. From then until 1884 the Christian Brothers of St. Louis were in charge of the school. After 1884 the Sisters of Charity, BVM instructed boys and girls at the cathedral school. (5)

The most recent St. Raphael's School was constructed at Emmett and Bluff in 1904. Although the oldest school in the archdiocese, St. Raphael's kept up with current educational theory. A teacher-aid program was started in September, 1963. The same year a school lunch program was begun. Enrollment, however, decreased from a peak of 500 to 278 in 1965 being instructed by seven Sisters and two lay teachers. By the late 1980s the school had been closed and the building converted into a physical fitness center. (6)

Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

Among the school's illustrious graduates was Father Daniel O'Regan, ordained a priest on May 30, 1863, who was the first native Iowan ordained in Rome and Iowa's first resident to receive a doctorate from the North American College. Among the parishioners to become priests was Rev. Thomas RHOMBERG. (7)

Photo-2010


---

Source:

1. Driscoll, Rt. Rev. Msgr. Justin A. With Faith and Vision: Schools of the Archdiocese of Dubuque, 1836-1966, Dubuque: Bureau of Education, Archdiocese of Dubuque, 1967, p. 2-3

2. Brother Xavier Werneth, S.C. Email, January 25, 2020

3. Driscoll

4. Ibid.

5. Ibid.

6. Ibid.

7. Ibid.