"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




BAYLESS BUSINESS COLLEGE: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 12: Line 12:


[[Image:Baylessc1.png|left|thumb|300px|Obsolete currency-1883]]
[[Image:Baylessc1.png|left|thumb|300px|Obsolete currency-1883]]
[[Image:Baylessc2.png|right|thumb|300px|]]
[[Image:Baylessc2.png|left|thumb|300px|]]
[[Image:Baylessc3.png|left|thumb|300px|]]
[[Image:Baylessc3.png|left|thumb|300px|]]
[[Image:bbccard.png|right|thumb|250px|Postcard advertising the school.]]
[[Image:bbccard.png|left|thumb|250px|Postcard advertising the school.]]
[[Image:Baylessc4.png|left|thumb|300px|]]
[[Image:Baylessc4.png|left|thumb|300px|]]
[[Image:picnic.jpg|right|thumb|300px|Class picnic--1912]]
[[Image:picnic.jpg|left|thumb|300px|Class picnic--1912]]
[[Image:Baylessc5.jpg|left|thumb|300px|Fractional Note.]]The school found many ways of advertising itself. In 1875 the school purchased a 64-foot long sign that stretched the entire length of the Finley Block. The sign was not only one of the largest in Dubuque but made of wire which was considered very new and attractive. Considered impervious to weather, the name of the school was displayed in large gold letters. (4) In 1879 Professor Chapman's expertise with a pen earned him a silver medal for a portrait of himself surrounded by a wreath. (5) Bayless Business College also offered evening lectures on subjects such as the mound builders. (6) In 1882 Bayless returned to Dubuque from Chicago with a "Remington Perfected Typewriter" and all the rights associated with being the sole agent for the business. (7)
[[Image:Baylessc5.jpg|left|thumb|300px|Fractional Note.]]The school found many ways of advertising itself. In 1875 the school purchased a 64-foot long sign that stretched the entire length of the Finley Block. The sign was not only one of the largest in Dubuque but made of wire which was considered very new and attractive. Considered impervious to weather, the name of the school was displayed in large gold letters. (4) In 1879 Professor Chapman's expertise with a pen earned him a silver medal for a portrait of himself surrounded by a wreath. (5) Bayless Business College also offered evening lectures on subjects such as the mound builders. (6) In 1882 Bayless returned to Dubuque from Chicago with a "Remington Perfected Typewriter" and all the rights associated with being the sole agent for the business. (7)


Line 31: Line 31:


[[Image:commcoll.jpg|left|thumb|250px| Photo courtesy: Jim Massey]]
[[Image:commcoll.jpg|left|thumb|250px| Photo courtesy: Jim Massey]]
[[Image:Bayless6.jpg|left|thumb|300px|Postcard advertising the school. Photo courtesy: Joseph Jacobsmeier]]
[[Image:Bayless6.jpg|right|thumb|300px|Postcard advertising the school. Photo courtesy: Joseph Jacobsmeier]]


---
---

Revision as of 03:58, 15 August 2016

BaylessCollege.png
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey

Bayless Business College. Bayless Commercial College was the first commercial college established in Iowa and is believed to be the oldest school of its kind north of St. Louis and west of Chicago. The school was known in later years as the Bayless Business College.

The college, founded on September 1, 1858, by Aaron Baylies, formerly of the Milwaukee Commercial College, originally used rooms above the old Log Tavern.(1) The first students, enrolled on October 1, 1858, paid tuition of five dollars per course. Students were also to supply their own spittoon. Such expenses often led to tuition being given in exchange for titles to wild lands or city lots. (2)

On June 16, 1862, Cornelius BAYLESS arrived in Dubuque. Although he and his cousin were nearly strangers, Cornelius was given a job as a teacher. By 1863 the two cousins were partners in the college. On August 2, 1863, Cornelius became sole owner of the college upon the death of Aaron.

Letterhead used by the Bayless Business College. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Proper handwriting was a skill taught to students. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding.

Determined that the college would succeed, Cornelius entered upon an aggressive campaign using handbills and advertisements placed in the Daily Times and Herald. By 1873 enrollment had increased, and additional room was needed. Better accommodations were found in the Ogilby Building. In 1874 the college was moved again to a building on Seventh and Main STREETS. On October 19, 1875 new rooms of the school were opened on its seventeenth anniversary. (3)

This diploma and the reputation behind it helped ensure quick employment. Photo courtesy: James Cox

The reputation of the college graduates helped ensure prompt employment of those successfully passing the curriculum. Shorthand and typing were added to the previous curriculum of bookkeeping, arithmetic, and penmanship.

Obsolete currency-1883
Baylessc2.png
Baylessc3.png
Postcard advertising the school.
Baylessc4.png
Class picnic--1912
Fractional Note.

The school found many ways of advertising itself. In 1875 the school purchased a 64-foot long sign that stretched the entire length of the Finley Block. The sign was not only one of the largest in Dubuque but made of wire which was considered very new and attractive. Considered impervious to weather, the name of the school was displayed in large gold letters. (4) In 1879 Professor Chapman's expertise with a pen earned him a silver medal for a portrait of himself surrounded by a wreath. (5) Bayless Business College also offered evening lectures on subjects such as the mound builders. (6) In 1882 Bayless returned to Dubuque from Chicago with a "Remington Perfected Typewriter" and all the rights associated with being the sole agent for the business. (7)

On May 24, 1890 a large number of graduates of the institution took the first steps to organize an alumni association. I. E. Brown was elected chairman. (8)

Receipt for payment of tuition covering four weeks of class. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

Growing enrollment led to the school being moved during April 1892, to the Lincoln Building at Eighth and Locust Streets. In 1908 many of Dubuque's most prominent citizens toasted the college's fiftieth anniversary.

Bayless served as president of the college until 1909 when it was sold to Edwin B. LYONS. In 1916 the winter announcement of subjects showed that the school was keeping current with subjects such as stenotype, mimeograph, letter press and farm accounting. Married as well as single women were encouraged to take courses. (9)

Individual attention to each student was possible until the end of WORLD WAR II when enrollment soared. Graduates were in high demand with the school unable to fill all the requests from local employers for clerical help. (10)

Following the retirement of Lyons, Florence Ludwick and Everette B. Lutenberg, senior teachers at the college, became business partners and co-directors of the school. On October 1, 1958 the college held its 100th anniversary and celebrated the graduation over the years of over 20,000 students. Despite its success, competition from other schools caused Bayless Business College to finally close in 1967. (11)

Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Postcard advertising the school. Photo courtesy: Joseph Jacobsmeier

---

Source:

1. Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/franklin-t-oldt/history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl/page-14-history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl.shtml

2. "Baylies' Commercial College," Dubuque Herald, October 20, 1873, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18751020&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

3. "The Seventeenth Anniversary," Dubuque Herald, October 19, 1875, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18751019&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

4. "New Sign," Dubuque Herald, October 30, 1875, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18751030&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

5. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, February 2, 1879, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18790202&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

6. "The Next Lecture," Dubuque Herald, February 15, 1876, p 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18760215&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

7. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, November 25, 1882, p. 4

8. "Alumni Organize," Dubuque Daily Herald, May 25, 1890, p. 4

9. Kruse, Len. "Bayless Business College," Julien's Journal, September 1995, p. 80

10. Ibid.

11. Ibid.