"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




WEST HILL CHAPEL: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
WEST HILL CHAPEL. The 1942 ''Dubuque Classified Business Directory'' through 1945 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed 255 Pear.
WEST HILL CHAPEL. In 1877 Mr. and Mrs. [[BONSON, Richard|Richard BONSON]] sold "the north 40 feet of Lot 122 in Union Addition" for forty dollars to the Union Addition Chapel Association. Association trustees included William J. Woods, L. B. Tuttle, S. Hickok, Norman Clark and Jerome Lobdell. These men constructed the chapel at night after completing their daytime jobs.
 
In 1913 the property was deeded to the West Hill Union Chapel Association. Trustees of this group included Charles J. Forward, Charles J. Peterson, Wesley W. Ireland, John Rumple, Benjamin Heidemann, Edward M. Jeffers, and Wilfred J. Brunskill. Charles Forward preached at the chapel, but was not an ordained minister. He, however, remained the leader of the group until his death in 1925.
 
In 1920 the deed was transferred to the West Hill Chapel Association. In 1927 all the trustees resigned and the keys to the building were given to the Sunday School Association that showed an interest in using the building. No record remains of how long the group used the building, but it was locked and unused until Walter Keck and his wife moved there in 1939.
 
Articles for incorporation of a "West Hill Chapel" were filed that year by the Kecks. The organization's goal was the spread of Christianity. The group was reported as active for four or five years with a membership of seventy-five. Early members remember that the congregation was associated with the Church of the Nazarene with members attending from Galena, Illinois; Platteville, Wisconsin; and Cuba City, Wisconsin. No regular meetings were held and no books were kept.
 
The 1942 ''Dubuque Classified Business Directory'' through 1945 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed 255 Pear.
 
In 1950 the property remained on the city's tax rolls because no application for an exemption had ever been filed. In January 1950, fifty neighbors asked the city council to oust Rev. Keck and to start condemnation proceedings on the building.
 
---
 
Source:
 
Kreger, Bill. "Snarl of Deeds Snarl Ownership of Chapel," Telegraph Herald, January 8, 1950, p. 4


[[Category: Church]]
[[Category: Church]]

Revision as of 01:47, 17 July 2014

WEST HILL CHAPEL. In 1877 Mr. and Mrs. Richard BONSON sold "the north 40 feet of Lot 122 in Union Addition" for forty dollars to the Union Addition Chapel Association. Association trustees included William J. Woods, L. B. Tuttle, S. Hickok, Norman Clark and Jerome Lobdell. These men constructed the chapel at night after completing their daytime jobs.

In 1913 the property was deeded to the West Hill Union Chapel Association. Trustees of this group included Charles J. Forward, Charles J. Peterson, Wesley W. Ireland, John Rumple, Benjamin Heidemann, Edward M. Jeffers, and Wilfred J. Brunskill. Charles Forward preached at the chapel, but was not an ordained minister. He, however, remained the leader of the group until his death in 1925.

In 1920 the deed was transferred to the West Hill Chapel Association. In 1927 all the trustees resigned and the keys to the building were given to the Sunday School Association that showed an interest in using the building. No record remains of how long the group used the building, but it was locked and unused until Walter Keck and his wife moved there in 1939.

Articles for incorporation of a "West Hill Chapel" were filed that year by the Kecks. The organization's goal was the spread of Christianity. The group was reported as active for four or five years with a membership of seventy-five. Early members remember that the congregation was associated with the Church of the Nazarene with members attending from Galena, Illinois; Platteville, Wisconsin; and Cuba City, Wisconsin. No regular meetings were held and no books were kept.

The 1942 Dubuque Classified Business Directory through 1945 Dubuque City Directory listed 255 Pear.

In 1950 the property remained on the city's tax rolls because no application for an exemption had ever been filed. In January 1950, fifty neighbors asked the city council to oust Rev. Keck and to start condemnation proceedings on the building.

---

Source:

Kreger, Bill. "Snarl of Deeds Snarl Ownership of Chapel," Telegraph Herald, January 8, 1950, p. 4